MileSplit online registration can now distinguish between wind-legal marks and those that are not.
Starting this week, I will post wind-aided marks to the MileSplit database and athlete pages.
This is being done because MileSplit online registration can now distinguish between marks that are wind legal and those that are not.
I have already gone in and set all meets for this Saturday so that online registration will populate only wind-legal marks. If you are hosting a meet after this weekend, you will need to make this setting for your own meet or wind-aided and NWI marks will be included in the seeding process.
Here's a very quick how-to to set your meet to accept only wind legal marks (for the 100, 200, 100/110H, LJ, and TJ).
1. Make sure you are logged in.
2. Go to your meet page and click on Meet Manager at the right-hand end of the black banner area at the top of the page.
3. Now click on the Divisions tab near the top of the meet page.
4. This will bring up a list of all divisions your meet has. Most meets have only one division, but if your meet has multiple divisions you will need to do this for all divisions listed. Click on the blue hyperlink for each division.
5. Scroll down to where there is a dropbox labeled Seed Wind Status. Select Wind Legal in that dropbox.
6. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on Save Changes.
7. Repeat for multiple divisions, if your meet has them.
That's it! Your online registration for your meet is now set up to correctly discriminate between wind legal marks and marks that are not wind legal. It's that easy.
There is also an added bonus here. A number of people over the years have asked me about the fairness of using out-of-state sprint, hurdle, and horizontal jump marks that didn't have wind readings. Until now, we had no means of eliminating those marks as seed marks. Now, however, when you select Wind Legal for your Seed Wind Status, any of these marks without a wind reading (which is a substantial portion of out-of-state marks) are automatically eliminated as seed marks.
This also means that, going forward, I can post 100, 200, 100/110H, LJ, and TJ marks from non-rankings meets that don't use wind gauges. So, many more athlete marks will be going into the database. I'll go back and retroactively do the March marks for this year.
Keep in mind, though, that any marks from non-rankings meets that would end up as top-18 marks will not be included.
For now, to view the top 18 for state-qualifying purposes in the rankings, you will have to select FAT/Wind Legal under WIND/FAT. I hope for that to become a default setting for Colorado, but it is not yet a default setting.
But, it all only works if meet directors go to their meet pages and change the setting. Otherwise, the process will use NWI and wind-aided marks as seed marks for the five aforementioned events.