Article Comment: All peaks, no valleys

This post is in reference to article:

Midway through the race, Allie Chipman and Quinn McConnell battle for the lead. Photo by Alan Versaw.
  • User
    Insider
    daileysk
    Hats off to the unattached runners who broke up the 'peaks' pre-race predictions, train without a team, and go unrecognized on this site. Peyton Dailey - Alayna Szuch (9 years old, who ran 13:50 in the open race, and would have cleanly placed 5th or 6th in the Championship race if she were in 6th grade) - Brooke Calvo - Lynzi Doke - Emily Lucero ... nice job ladies. Many more to boot beyond the top 20. As for the time comparisons, they are moot as I have yet to attend a MS race that is accurate in distance. The race today was originally planned at 3600m, but it is anybody's guess as to the real distance. I'd say 3500-3600m is fair, but with the soft twisty course, and the hill at the end, it was clearly more difficult than the hard and fast d'Evelyn course from last year. BTW, Chipman and McConnell are every bit as good at Gregory, and Szuch is better. As for the boys, great to see Tyler Scholl continue to progress, and avenge his loss from last year.
  • Alan Versaw
    Site Admin
    CoachVersaw
    @daileysk

I'm guessing this might be a reference to the fact that I don't yet have results posted to athlete pages for the athletes who did not have a team. This situation caught me a little unprepared and I'm having to kluge a solution to get those results to show. The system is set up to deal with Unattached in the team column, but not an empty space.

So, expect a fix there today.
  • User
    Insider
    daileysk
    Actually there is no reference to the athlete pages, just a good natured call out to the unattached girls and boys who slug it out in relative obscurity (and, in daughter's case, broke Simcox's 'peak' pre-race predictions). 2nd item: official course map shows 2.25 miles / 3.62 km, but I can't imagine this being accurate as the times were very similiar, at least up front, to those of last year. Much tougher course yesterday, likely 10-20 secs slower due to turns, footing, and hill, but anyone who has insight please comment.
  • Kyle Simcox
    Coach
    Insider
    RidgeRunnerLife
    @daileysk
    You're right the course measurement on the usatf website is wrong but it's more that the website doesn't measure it correctly. I did it on mapmyrun as well and got exactly 3500 meters, which is the same distance I wheeled out multiple times this week.

As for the omission of unattached runners, I do apologize for leaving them out. For many of them I only have one or if I'm lucky two races to work off of them with so it becomes a lot harder to talk about what might happen when I have very few results to go off of. That is one of the benefits of running on a team is that you get more results.

As for breaking my prediction, peak to peak won. That was what I said I thought would happen. I never said they would sweep or even come in as 4 straight runners. I only said my thought was that they would win. If anybody took offense to that as that I thought there wouldn't be anyone good enough to break them up, I apologize as that was what I was not inferring at all.

Congrats to all the competitors that ran yesterday. It was amazing to watch and I hope everyone will continue to come support and perform in the years to come.
  • User
    Insider
    daileysk
    No apology needed. I printed your one-sided article for my daughter to read, and told her to read about the 5 girls that were going to beat her at state. She agreed w/only 1 ... Chipman. This proved to be an extra dollop of motivation.
  • Vince Calvo
    User
    Insider
    trackman747
    @daileysk

I appreciate your post. I too have a daughter that is running unattached. But find it odd that of all school districts in the state that Boulder Valley doesn't have a XC middle school program where mine attends. I'm very appreciative of the race organizers to allow my daughter and other girls I train to enter their Middle school meets. The future is very bright for this group of middle school runners!!
  • caroline szuch
    User
    Insider
    szuch
    Alayna Szuch's dad here...thanks for the nice words about Alayna. It was a fantastic venue and races. We are new to XC so we are hoping you might have thoughts to a question we cant get an answer for. Kary Simcox made it clear Alanya could not run in the Championship due to age and grade (9 and 4th). That was fine until we saw several 5th and a 4th grader in the championship results. Im not saying Alayna would have won the championship but she would have gone faster with faster racers. Any ideas?
  • User
    Insider
    daileysk
    Mr. Szuch,

I sent an email to Kary Simcox at ksimcox22@hotmail.com, asking for clarification. Alayna was a close 3rd to my daughter at the Dakota Ridge Invite, and I absolutely loved it. If you send me an email to daileysk@yahoo.com, I can send you a picture of the 2 of them side by side with about 800m left.

I think it would be a shame to not allow Alayna to run in the C'ship next year, given the # of 5th graders who ran the race this year. She will easily be top 5 next year (and possibly this past Saturday as well). Good luck.