Bayfield
03/11/2018 9:52:34 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
So, now that Bayfield has won state football and basketball titles in the same school year, that raises a question. And the question is stirred a bit by the fact that Bayfield should have a very good track team this spring. Has any school ever done the triple crown of winning a football, basketball, and track state title in the same school year? I guess the closest equivalent for girls would be volleyball, basketball, and track...
So, now that Bayfield has won state football and basketball titles in the same school year, that raises a question. And the question is stirred a bit by the fact that Bayfield should have a very good track team this spring.

Has any school ever done the triple crown of winning a football, basketball, and track state title in the same school year? I guess the closest equivalent for girls would be volleyball, basketball, and track...
03/12/2018 8:38:26 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
I asked Craig Bailey since I was pretty sure he would know about Limon. As it turns out, Limon won state football, basketball, and track titles in both the 1960-61 and 1961-62 school years. So, the feat has been accomplished before, but maybe not very recently.
I asked Craig Bailey since I was pretty sure he would know about Limon. As it turns out, Limon won state football, basketball, and track titles in both the 1960-61 and 1961-62 school years. So, the feat has been accomplished before, but maybe not very recently.
05/20/2018 12:13:22 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
So it is official... Bayfield has won the triple crown. We know Limon did it in the 1960's. Any other school accomplish this?
So it is official... Bayfield has won the triple crown. We know Limon did it in the 1960's. Any other school accomplish this?
05/20/2018 10:09:08 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@K3runner I haven't learned of any more since the time I originally posted on this, but I'm now more motivated to check. I'll get back to this thread if I find anything. It was a very impressive weekend run for Bayfield. True to the pattern of most state champions, they didn't have many lapses along the way!
@K3runner

I haven't learned of any more since the time I originally posted on this, but I'm now more motivated to check. I'll get back to this thread if I find anything.

It was a very impressive weekend run for Bayfield. True to the pattern of most state champions, they didn't have many lapses along the way!
05/20/2018 10:23:17 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
By the way, Josh Walton--one of the coaches at Bayfield--told me that there were four seniors at Bayfield who were contributors to all three state title teams. If I've remembered correctly, those four are Dawson Heide, Carl Heide, Ryan Phelps, and Dax Snooks. Somebody please correct me if I've garbled something here.
By the way, Josh Walton--one of the coaches at Bayfield--told me that there were four seniors at Bayfield who were contributors to all three state title teams. If I've remembered correctly, those four are Dawson Heide, Carl Heide, Ryan Phelps, and Dax Snooks.

Somebody please correct me if I've garbled something here.
05/20/2018 1:03:16 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Congrats, Bayfield!
Congrats, Bayfield!
05/21/2018 9:19:51 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@K3runner I think I have the comprehensive list now. At one time or another, the following schools have won a football and boys basketball title in the same school year: Burlington, Cherry Creek, Denver Christian, Erie, Fort Collins, Littleton, Loveland, Merino, Peetz, Simla, Wheat Ridge, and Yuma. The following schools have won a boys basketball and boys track title in the same school year: Denver South, Holyoke, Julesburg (now competes as Sedgwick County). The following schools have won a football and boys track title in the same school year: Holyoke, Julesburg, Mullen. AND... the following schools have won all three in the same school year: La Junta, 1948-49 Limon, 1960-61 Limon, 1961-62 Walsh, 1971-72 So, it's been nearly 50 years since any school did what Bayfield did this year. Walsh, of course, no longer competes independently but is part of the South Baca cooperative program. Bayfield also becomes the first Western Slope school to join any of these lists.
@K3runner

I think I have the comprehensive list now. At one time or another, the following schools have won a football and boys basketball title in the same school year: Burlington, Cherry Creek, Denver Christian, Erie, Fort Collins, Littleton, Loveland, Merino, Peetz, Simla, Wheat Ridge, and Yuma. The following schools have won a boys basketball and boys track title in the same school year: Denver South, Holyoke, Julesburg (now competes as Sedgwick County). The following schools have won a football and boys track title in the same school year: Holyoke, Julesburg, Mullen.

AND... the following schools have won all three in the same school year:
La Junta, 1948-49
Limon, 1960-61
Limon, 1961-62
Walsh, 1971-72

So, it's been nearly 50 years since any school did what Bayfield did this year. Walsh, of course, no longer competes independently but is part of the South Baca cooperative program. Bayfield also becomes the first Western Slope school to join any of these lists.
05/21/2018 9:56:56 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
By the way, the lists above do not include any schools that might have done any of these doubles in the last five years (I believe there might be one or two). I simply didn't have a nice compilation from the most recent years to work from.
By the way, the lists above do not include any schools that might have done any of these doubles in the last five years (I believe there might be one or two). I simply didn't have a nice compilation from the most recent years to work from.
05/22/2018 7:46:30 PM
User
Congrats to Bayfield! I just looked to see if anyone pulled off the Endurance Triple. Lake County's girls and boys were close but missed out on the track titles. They won XC and skiing in 1983. I cannot find the track results, but it would be neat if they won all of the distance races that year, too.
Congrats to Bayfield!

I just looked to see if anyone pulled off the Endurance Triple. Lake County's girls and boys were close but missed out on the track titles. They won XC and skiing in 1983. I cannot find the track results, but it would be neat if they won all of the distance races that year, too.
07/10/2018 9:35:12 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachVersaw
07/10/2018 9:37:06 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Thanks Alan for doing all of this research. It was a great year. I havent been on mile split much so I didnt see this discussion.
Thanks Alan for doing all of this research. It was a great year. I havent been on mile split much so I didnt see this discussion.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.