Just a thought about the 1600
03/19/2021 5:00:36 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The international distance is 1500 and indoor college runs the mile. It would be fun to change the high school distance to the mile so we can see how many girls can break 4:40min mile and boys run under 4min mile mark in a season without having to go to special events. Just thinking.
The international distance is 1500 and indoor college runs the mile. It would be fun to change the high school distance to the mile so we can see how many girls can break 4:40min mile and boys run under 4min mile mark in a season without having to go to special events. Just thinking.
03/30/2021 11:17:50 PM
Admin
@ksmith5303 It would be fun. But running the mile instead of the 1600 puts Colorado in a compromised position with NFHS. If you deviate from the stated standard events, you lose some say at the table. To this point, that's kept Colorado from going down that path. For that reason, we'll probably never consider the 400 hurdles in Colorado. Adopting the javelin, however, would not create those problems as it doesn't alter one of the standard events. Arizona adopted the javelin in 2018 and they've been getting a lot of excitement for that event. For the record, though, I do not expect to live to see any boy break 4:00 in the mile in Colorado, nor any girl break 4:40 (though that's probably more likely). But maybe you weren't thinking just Colorado...
@ksmith5303

It would be fun. But running the mile instead of the 1600 puts Colorado in a compromised position with NFHS. If you deviate from the stated standard events, you lose some say at the table. To this point, that's kept Colorado from going down that path. For that reason, we'll probably never consider the 400 hurdles in Colorado. Adopting the javelin, however, would not create those problems as it doesn't alter one of the standard events. Arizona adopted the javelin in 2018 and they've been getting a lot of excitement for that event.

For the record, though, I do not expect to live to see any boy break 4:00 in the mile in Colorado, nor any girl break 4:40 (though that's probably more likely). But maybe you weren't thinking just Colorado...
03/31/2021 1:03:23 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachVersaw I was just thinking Colorado. My thoughts were the more we compete in the mile the better the chances of seeing a HS boy break 4min. I like your idea for the Javelin, having only two throws in our state is quite sad. If I continue down the make believe path, I would like to see a 2000m steeple in HS and a 4x800m in the Olympics. Those would be some fun races to watch.
@CoachVersaw
I was just thinking Colorado. My thoughts were the more we compete in the mile the better the chances of seeing a HS boy break 4min. I like your idea for the Javelin, having only two throws in our state is quite sad. If I continue down the make believe path, I would like to see a 2000m steeple in HS and a 4x800m in the Olympics. Those would be some fun races to watch.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.