5A region 2
07/19/2009 7:22:47 PM
Coach
5A region 2 is by far the best region in the state. Shouldnt the regions maybe be switched up and evened out this year.
5A region 2 is by far the best region in the state. Shouldnt the regions maybe be switched up and evened out this year.
07/20/2009 9:45:08 AM
Admin
Tough region? Absolutely! Any team with a shot at winning state will advance out of the region, though. The same applies for individuals. "Balancing" regions would quickly become highly politicized. Setting aside all the lobbying efforts and such that would inevitably become part of the process, it's still labor intensive to re-form regionals every year and pretty near impossible to forecast two years down the road who is going to have what. All things considered, it's probably easier to live with the idea that the strength of regions will ebb and flow. Adding at-large berths to state would be a whole new experience in fanning the flames of controversy. It's my understanding that the Denver Prep League was once its own cross country region and people complained about that. It may well have been a good idea to distribute those schools over two or three regions. Similarly, it is probably a good idea that not all of the Centennial League schools are in the same region. Such a region might make the current 5A Region 2 look a little soft by comparison. But, a constant reshuffling of the deck seems like more micromanagement than it would be worth. Track has a solution (one that a lot of people don't like). It's qualification by performance. But, it's difficult to see how to make that work for cross country. And, if it's any consolation, 4A Region 2 Girls may have been even more competitive the last few years than 5A Region 2 Boys is now.
Tough region? Absolutely!

Any team with a shot at winning state will advance out of the region, though. The same applies for individuals.

"Balancing" regions would quickly become highly politicized. Setting aside all the lobbying efforts and such that would inevitably become part of the process, it's still labor intensive to re-form regionals every year and pretty near impossible to forecast two years down the road who is going to have what. All things considered, it's probably easier to live with the idea that the strength of regions will ebb and flow. Adding at-large berths to state would be a whole new experience in fanning the flames of controversy.

It's my understanding that the Denver Prep League was once its own cross country region and people complained about that. It may well have been a good idea to distribute those schools over two or three regions. Similarly, it is probably a good idea that not all of the Centennial League schools are in the same region. Such a region might make the current 5A Region 2 look a little soft by comparison. But, a constant reshuffling of the deck seems like more micromanagement than it would be worth.

Track has a solution (one that a lot of people don't like). It's qualification by performance. But, it's difficult to see how to make that work for cross country.

And, if it's any consolation, 4A Region 2 Girls may have been even more competitive the last few years than 5A Region 2 Boys is now.
07/20/2009 1:44:52 PM
Coach
Yeah i understand what your saying. I dont like track qualifing and it would never work for cross country because all courses are different and if you run liberty bell you would have a huge advantage. Of the 5 teams that qualified last year in 5A Region 2 four of them finished in the top 6 at state and the top 5 runners all came from the region. And it shouldnt be different this year all the teams have good returning runners and only have had a year to improve. I just feel that if some teams were in a different region they would have a posibility at making state and especially indviduals because the top 15 returning runners in 5A region 2 all ran under 17:00 and will only get faster this year. Your right that if a team has a chance at state they will definetly make it out of their region but for a team who has never made state even just going and getting last would be monumental and would only push the team foward. Also I have heard they change the regions up about every two years. Well the regions have been the same since at least 2007 and maybe even in 2006. And this will be at least the 3rd year of the same region
Yeah i understand what your saying. I dont like track qualifing and it would never work for cross country because all courses are different and if you run liberty bell you would have a huge advantage. Of the 5 teams that qualified last year in 5A Region 2 four of them finished in the top 6 at state and the top 5 runners all came from the region. And it shouldnt be different this year all the teams have good returning runners and only have had a year to improve. I just feel that if some teams were in a different region they would have a posibility at making state and especially indviduals because the top 15 returning runners in 5A region 2 all ran under 17:00 and will only get faster this year. Your right that if a team has a chance at state they will definetly make it out of their region but for a team who has never made state even just going and getting last would be monumental and would only push the team foward. Also I have heard they change the regions up about every two years. Well the regions have been the same since at least 2007 and maybe even in 2006. And this will be at least the 3rd year of the same region
07/27/2009 8:18:25 PM
Coach
Right now we are at a benefit of a relatively "weak" region. Though having SH, Arapahoe, and Chapparal, is that weak. that being said, it would be nice to reshuffle regions every five years. I remember when my girls took fifth at state. We were the 4th team from our region and as it was it took Jaclyn Baca passing 4 girls in the last 50 meters at regionals to give us a state qual birth by 3 points over Boulder. Boulder was the 6th best team in Colorado but did not make it to state. Sometimes it just works that way. When I was in HS my region had 3 of top 4 teams and tons of runners in the top 20. Often times it seems unfair, but I can tell you that CHSSA is not trying to be unfair to anybody. Best of luck to all those running this fall. Have fun and be safe.
Right now we are at a benefit of a relatively "weak" region. Though having SH, Arapahoe, and Chapparal, is that weak. that being said, it would be nice to reshuffle regions every five years. I remember when my girls took fifth at state. We were the 4th team from our region and as it was it took Jaclyn Baca passing 4 girls in the last 50 meters at regionals to give us a state qual birth by 3 points over Boulder. Boulder was the 6th best team in Colorado but did not make it to state.
Sometimes it just works that way.

When I was in HS my region had 3 of top 4 teams and tons of runners in the top 20. Often times it seems unfair, but I can tell you that CHSSA is not trying to be unfair to anybody.

Best of luck to all those running this fall. Have fun and be safe.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.