Article Comment: Cross Country Previews 2009: 5A Boys
07/25/2009 7:13:53 PM
Coach
Good preview but again 4 of the favored teams are in region 2 and the fifth team from region 2 heritage was 17th last year at state with all 7 varsity returning. I wouldnt be suprised if the 5 that get out of region 2 all finish top 10 at state and also wouldnt be suprised if the top 4 from the region get top 5 at state.
Good preview but again 4 of the favored teams are in region 2 and the fifth team from region 2 heritage was 17th last year at state with all 7 varsity returning. I wouldnt be suprised if the 5 that get out of region 2 all finish top 10 at state and also wouldnt be suprised if the top 4 from the region get top 5 at state.
07/26/2009 10:53:51 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I was hoping Heritage would get overlooked. My XC team has been training with them this summer and Heritage boys look good. If they can put it together at the end of the season with some new talent coming in some of those favored schools should watchout. By far Region 2 5A boys is the toughest.
I was hoping Heritage would get overlooked. My XC team has been training with them this summer and Heritage boys look good. If they can put it together at the end of the season with some new talent coming in some of those favored schools should watchout. By far Region 2 5A boys is the toughest.
07/26/2009 1:57:26 PM
User
4 Centennial League teams out of the 8 are named in this article, wow. Watch out for Eaglecrest, they will be a team on the verge of a great season for the next few years. Coach Jason Jensen will have his first legitamate state championship contender team that can definitely score a lot better than previous years and the depth they have, if they keep working hard, Eaglecrest will be making a lot of noise this season and possibly at state. They just have to show it on the meets and they will special if they keep being consistent. Keep a close eye out on Eaglecrest this year people.
4 Centennial League teams out of the 8 are named in this article, wow. Watch out for Eaglecrest, they will be a team on the verge of a great season for the next few years. Coach Jason Jensen will have his first legitamate state championship contender team that can definitely score a lot better than previous years and the depth they have, if they keep working hard, Eaglecrest will be making a lot of noise this season and possibly at state. They just have to show it on the meets and they will special if they keep being consistent. Keep a close eye out on Eaglecrest this year people.
07/27/2009 4:01:21 PM
Coach
Thanks for the props - I am humbled by your support! Your kind words mean a lot to me, thank you. The boys team actually can be quite good this year, if they stay dedicated and keep working hard, but until we finally peform at state when it matters (I will take blame for this) then we will continue to be just a solid midpack team. In our defense in the last three years we have beaten nearly every team outside of the top 10. Just not when it matters :0( I have liked what I have seen from my boys this summer, but I only return 2 of last years top 7. A healthy Jordan Reid would be really nice. A couple of banged up JV guys being able to recover would also be nice. In regards to the girls. It is too early to tell. Melissa Westhoff is getting a summer this year, and the plan is to run more than 20 mpw like she did last year. Her little sister as well as a couple more newcomers will make us better for sure, but I think xc 2010 will be the best year for EXC. What is most important to me, is the kiddos on my team are the most wonderful young men and women a coach could ever ask for, and I am beyond blessed to be able to be their coach. Our league and our city will be fun to watch. I had forgotten about Erickson #3, Smoky will be good. CT has been a very dedicated program and are reaping the benefits. Regis, creek, Arapahoe... I will enjoy watching the Aurora and lague meet for sure.
Thanks for the props - I am humbled by your support! Your kind words mean a lot to me, thank you.
The boys team actually can be quite good this year, if they stay dedicated and keep working hard, but until we finally peform at state when it matters (I will take blame for this) then we will continue to be just a solid midpack team. In our defense in the last three years we have beaten nearly every team outside of the top 10. Just not when it matters :0(
I have liked what I have seen from my boys this summer, but I only return 2 of last years top 7. A healthy Jordan Reid would be really nice. A couple of banged up JV guys being able to recover would also be nice.

In regards to the girls. It is too early to tell. Melissa Westhoff is getting a summer this year, and the plan is to run more than 20 mpw like she did last year. Her little sister as well as a couple more newcomers will make us better for sure, but I think xc 2010 will be the best year for EXC.

What is most important to me, is the kiddos on my team are the most wonderful young men and women a coach could ever ask for, and I am beyond blessed to be able to be their coach.

Our league and our city will be fun to watch. I had forgotten about Erickson #3, Smoky will be good. CT has been a very dedicated program and are reaping the benefits. Regis, creek, Arapahoe... I will enjoy watching the Aurora and lague meet for sure.
07/27/2009 4:20:57 PM
Coach
Centennial League will be incredibly good this year. You have Smoky, CT, Creek who will all be very good this year and are good every year. You have eaglecrest who is being talked about alot like they will be pretty good overland has roblet who will get top 5 at state again this year arapahoe will have connor winters and kearns who will be very strong in front of the pack. Mullen has a few good returning runners. Grandview I know for a fact is starting to get better. They got a transfer from missouri who is very fast and another runner who is extremely dedicated and is running 60 miles a week. They wont be at the top but they have 2 fast runners to lead the pack and hopefully the rest will follow.
Centennial League will be incredibly good this year. You have Smoky, CT, Creek who will all be very good this year and are good every year. You have eaglecrest who is being talked about alot like they will be pretty good overland has roblet who will get top 5 at state again this year arapahoe will have connor winters and kearns who will be very strong in front of the pack. Mullen has a few good returning runners. Grandview I know for a fact is starting to get better. They got a transfer from missouri who is very fast and another runner who is extremely dedicated and is running 60 miles a week. They wont be at the top but they have 2 fast runners to lead the pack and hopefully the rest will follow.
07/29/2009 2:12:03 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Just to clarify (I'm from Smoky), we do not have a third Erickson. The kid I think you all are referring to is Kyle Ames (the brother of a decent female runner we had a few years ago). But we do have a second Erickson, Quin, who is returning. So our top three should be Caldwell (11th in cross, all-state in the 8 & 16), Quin Erickson (22nd in cross), and Kyle Ames (71st in cross as a frosh last year, and 9:53 for the 3200 in track). In addition, we add a sophomore, Tanner Ruhl, who played football last fall but ran 1:59 for the 8 in track. We are excited, to say the least! Good luck to everyone as the season looms just around the corner!
Just to clarify (I'm from Smoky), we do not have a third Erickson. The kid I think you all are referring to is Kyle Ames (the brother of a decent female runner we had a few years ago). But we do have a second Erickson, Quin, who is returning.

So our top three should be Caldwell (11th in cross, all-state in the 8 & 16), Quin Erickson (22nd in cross), and Kyle Ames (71st in cross as a frosh last year, and 9:53 for the 3200 in track). In addition, we add a sophomore, Tanner Ruhl, who played football last fall but ran 1:59 for the 8 in track. We are excited, to say the least!

Good luck to everyone as the season looms just around the corner!
07/29/2009 2:41:34 PM
Admin
Snowshoe, Raptor, and all you Centennial League guys, Do you have some sort of idea of when we'll see some of the clashes this fall? I'm guessing the Centennial League will be well represented at Pre-State and City of Aurora. Will most be at Cherry Creek and Liberty Bell? If so, wow, that could get to be a pretty intense September before it's all over.... Because of the depth of the Centennial League, you should get a really good idea of how teams will shake out at state. A weaker 4th or 5th runner should really show in the scoring when you put that many good teams together.
Snowshoe, Raptor, and all you Centennial League guys,

Do you have some sort of idea of when we'll see some of the clashes this fall? I'm guessing the Centennial League will be well represented at Pre-State and City of Aurora. Will most be at Cherry Creek and Liberty Bell? If so, wow, that could get to be a pretty intense September before it's all over....

Because of the depth of the Centennial League, you should get a really good idea of how teams will shake out at state. A weaker 4th or 5th runner should really show in the scoring when you put that many good teams together.
07/29/2009 6:46:04 PM
Coach
so long post just got deleted, doh!!! Long story short - I knew about Ames, but for some reason falsely remembered a conversation a few years back about a 3rd erickson. Marty Andrie had a great regionals and could be a factor. I am not a fan of genetic knee disorders particularly when the effect very good runners. If league is at Arapahoe again, I think we will see a lot of runners takign a little something off with the reasoning of not getting hurt right before regionals. Matt ran by EHS other day, looked pretty stinking good. Thought about tackling him, but thought that would be rude, so I gave him a high five instead.
so long post just got deleted, doh!!!

Long story short - I knew about Ames, but for some reason falsely remembered a conversation a few years back about a 3rd erickson. Marty Andrie had a great regionals and could be a factor.

I am not a fan of genetic knee disorders particularly when the effect very good runners.

If league is at Arapahoe again, I think we will see a lot of runners takign a little something off with the reasoning of not getting hurt right before regionals.

Matt ran by EHS other day, looked pretty stinking good. Thought about tackling him, but thought that would be rude, so I gave him a high five instead.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.