The first week of February did not disappoint!
We saw quite a few revealing performances, the kind that hint that we've got an exciting outdoor season ahead of us...
Alright, let's get into it. Here are the highlights of the highlights...
There were a ton of fiery performances at Saturday's Air Force High School Indoor Open.
Most notable was Kourtney Rathke's 13-9.25 pole vault meet record, which was also an official personal best, and an unofficial state record by a quarter-of-an-inch.
Editor's Note: Since indoor track and field isn't an "official" CHSAA sport, the "official" CHSAA state record is Andrea Willis' 13-9 - outdoors.
Add that Rathke's performance was a Colorado No. 1, and a US No. 8.
Needless to write, Rathke is clearly setting herself up for a massive outdoor season. The Peak to Peak junior has been over 13-feet a staggering six times this indoor season.
Another big performance - or big "reveal" - to come out of the meet was Drew Costelow , who came oh-so-close to writing his name into the record books.
The Valor Christian toed the line for the first time in months and delivered a 1:55.51 800 season-opener. When taking into consideration the altitude (just over 7,000-feet), and that it was his first race since cross country, it's evident that Costelow is revving up for a big outdoor season. A year ago he swept the 5A distance events at state, claiming the 800, 1,600, and 3,200.
Likewise, Tavon Underwood has been perfecting his 400 in recent weeks, and Saturday it looked like he's done some serious work on his 200. He won the event in 21.56 - that's a CO NO. 1, a US No. 12, and nearly half-a-second ahead of his outdoor personal best. Add that is was also a meet record and Colorado indoor record.
On the topic of PRing and running state-leading marks, Trey Ciccio ran a state-leading 8.00 in the prelims of the 60H - he did go on to win the finals.
2023 outdoor track - look out!
For more from the Air Force meet:
A day later and across town the USATF All Comers 3 capped off the week's action.
Anna Willis doubled back from Saturday's Air Force meet to compete in the pole vault for a second-consecutive day. Willis cleared 13-1.5 - that's her first time over 13-feet this season, and good for a CO No. 2.
In the 300 Ka'Moyyah Allen and Madeline Clark put together a fiery 300 with Allen dropping a state-leading 42.36. Clark was a stride back in 43.14 for a CO No. 3.
Doubling up in distance Jocelyn Millican won the 600 in 1:38.73 - that's a CO No. 2.
Air Force High School Indoor Open
Photo Albums (1)
- Kourtney Rathke Talks Her 13-9.25 Meet Record
- Girls 200 Heat 1
- Girls 200 Heat 2
- Girls 200 Heat 3
- Boys 200 Heat 1
- Boys 200 Heat 2
- Boys 200 Heat 3
- Girls 60 Final
- Boys 60 Final
- Girls 60 Hurdles Final
- Kourtney Rathke Soars To PV Meet Record At Air Force HS Open
- Through The Lens: Air Force High School Open Photos & Videos
- Air Force HS Indoor Open Preview: Six Competitions To Watch
- 400mAani Hardesty Unattached Club 59.76
- 800mJaycee Williams Berthoud High School 2:19.95Tessa Walter Kokopelli Racing Team 2:20.20Brooklyn Ewert REAL Training 2:21.57
- 60mHJustice Ephrim Angel Flight 9.20 p
- High JumpAndrea Davis Unattached Club 5-1.5Maggie Haase Eads High School 5-1.5Eva Bellot Jump Colorado 5-5.5
- Long JumpJoy Nnantah Colorado Springs Striders 17-3.25Kaeli Powe Angel Flight 17-6.5
- Triple JumpKaeli Powe Angel Flight 37-8.75
- Pole VaultTaegan Olson Above the Bar Track Club 11-5.75Taegan Olson REAL Training 11-5.75Anna Willis Above the Bar Track Club 11-11.75Kashlee Dickinson Unattached Club 11-11.75Annalee Gardner Unattached Club 11-11.75Megan Kelleghan Above the Bar Track Club 11-11.75Anna Willis The Classical Academy 11-11.75Charlotte Elliston Fairview High School 11-11.75Olivia Kosanovich Fairview High School 11-11.75Rachel Homoly Unattached Club 13-5.25
- WeightMary Ella Brooks Unattached Club 49-9.5
- 60mIsaak Easley Angel Flight 7.00Joe Ciccio Unattached - CO 7.00 pTrey Ciccio Unattached - CO 7.03 p
- 200mTavon Underwood REAL Training 21.56Zack Ryan Angel Flight 22.11Isaak Easley Angel Flight 22.17Kaleb Quammie REAL Training 22.80Ben Classen REAL Training 22.95Spencer Cedrun REAL Training 22.96
- 400mTavon Underwood REAL Training 49.23Ben Classen REAL Training 50.06Ashton Whisler REAL Training 50.21Zack Ryan Angel Flight 50.35Kahari Wilbon Angel Flight 50.63
- 800mDrew Costelow Unattached Club 1:55.51Peter Neid Unattached Club 1:58.48Shalom Trowbridge Unattached - CO 1:59.05Ryan Olree REAL Training 1:59.10
- 2 MileRyan Olree REAL Training 9:48.81
- 60mHTrey Ciccio Unattached - CO 8.00 p
- High JumpEvan Atkin Unattached Club 6-1.5Antoni Smith REAL Training 6-3.5
- Long JumpLuguse Nuss Unattached Club 22-0.75
- Triple JumpMiller Jones Unattached - CO 46-7.25Miller Jones Unattached Club 46-7.25
- Pole VaultTyler Rowan Above the Bar Track Club 14-3.25Tyler Rowan Monarch High School 14-3.25
- WeightCharlie LAFORE Hustle Track Club 59-7.75
- Shot PutCharlie LAFORE Hustle Track Club 53-1.75
USATF All Comers 3
- High Jump
- Long Jump
- Pole VaultCiana Stiefel Unattached Club 11-7.75Anna Willis Unattached Club 13-1.5
- High Jump
- Triple JumpDylan Traut Hustle Track Club 45-8.5